First of all, let’s refer to it as physical activity or moving our bodies instead of exercise. Exercise sounds like work: no fun and boring. It also makes us feel like there’s only ONE way of doing it right - a hardcore, full on workout like going for a five mile run or lifting super heavy weights - when really, there are so many ways to move. It doesn't matter what we choose, as long as we choose something!
Some less-than-traditional exercise ideas are here - just try to do them intensely enough that you find yourself huffing and puffing a bit.
- Go for a 30 minute walk with a friend, your dog, or while listening to your favorite music.
- Learn a TikTok dance and make a TikTok with a friend. Turn it into a dance party!
- Try a dance class (IRL or virtual) to music you love. Remember: no one has to be good at dancing to love it!
- Find an old jump rope in the back of the closet, turn on some music and try jumping - you can do one long stretch or short reps for 5 - 7 minutes, 3 or 4 times a day.
- Take a hike somewhere beautiful - if you’re groaning because you’re not a hiker, give it a chance because it is so much better than it sounds!
- Try some new yoga poses.
- Have a swim race with your friends!
- Try learning a sport! Even if you don't feel sporty, there's no single idea of what "sporty" looks like or is. It's never too late to try something new, and you can get your friends to do it with you (you might even make some new ones along the way).
Moving your body is about finding what you think is fun. You might also realize that a lot of the movements you do everyday (walking, going up stairs) already count as physical activity! Check our our article on exercise snacking for more information, found here.