We want to make ourselves feel better, but sometimes the idea of that seems overwhelming, especially when we aren’t in the best mood already. What are some ways for us to take care of ourselves emotionally?
Here’s a quick and easy list to check in on how well we’re taking care of ourselves and where there might be some room for improvement. Remember, how we treat our bodies affects how we feel emotionally and how we feel emotionally affects how we feel physically. It’s all interconnected.
- Am I getting enough sleep?
- Am I moving my body enough?
- Am I feeding my body nourishing foods?
- Am I drinking enough water?
- How is social media making me feel?
- How are my friendships making me feel?
- Am I connecting with people who make me feel good about myself?
- Have I had dinner with my family recently?
- What kinds of movies and shows have I been watching?
Based on your answers to these questions, you might be able to identify a possible cause and solution for your downhearted mood.
If you're really struggling, don't be afraid to reach out to a trusted adult or resource such as the 988 suicide and crisis lifeline.
Photo by Pavel Danilyuk